The Trento Conservatoire was formally established in 1980, although its origins date back to the early 19th century, when the city’s Philharmonic Society (1795) and the Philharmonic School (1815) were created. In 1905 the former High School for Music (run by Vincenzo Gianferrari and housed in the building in via Verdi) was still a section of the Philharmonic Society but during the Second World War (1943) the city started taking over its management gradually. This was formally consolidated in 1951. At the end of the 60s began the procedure for its state recognition which had been first obtained for some teachings (organ, piano, violin and viola, cello, oboe) and then also for the teaching of composition, bass, flute, clarinet, trumpet and trombone, guitar. In the meantime the annexed Junior Department was instituted (1970) and so, needing more space, the Institute moved to its new headquarters in via S. Maria Maddalena (1974-1975).
On 1 October 1980 the Municipal High School for Music became the State Music Conservatoire and acquired the separate section of Riva del Garda. After that it took on the name of “Francesco Antonio Bonporti” as a tribute to the early 18th century composer and one of the most important musicians from Trentino. In 1987-1988 the experimental five-year music course was launched.
Riva del Garda
The Riva del Garda Conservatoire was founded in 1970 as a project of the local authorities and in the footsteps of the existing Civic Music School founded in 1956. It was first instituted as a branch of the C. Monteverdi Conservatoire of Bolzano, then it went under the direction of the G. Verdi Conservatoire of Milan in 1975 and in 1980 it finally became a branch of the F.A. Bonporti Conservatoire of Trento. The Institute is housed in a lovely building placed near the Inviolata Church and is equipped with a modern auditorium opened in 1987. It includes a middle school and during its forty years of activity it gradually extended the number of the main and subsidiary courses and received students also from the other province surrounding the Garda Lake. The presence of the conservatoire favoured and promoted the organization of different important musical events, both national and international, such as the Festival Musica Riva.